Get a free estimate
If you have questions about our services, plans, or pricing we are here for you. Fill out the form below and we will communicate with you by email (and of course provide you with a free estimate).
MARCH 28 2022 /
First of all, you're right. Those little red dots are actually tiny red bugs. Not insects.
Those tiny bright red bugs are actually part of the arachnid family, but they are harmless to humans and animals, as far as health is concerned.
The question some may have are do clover mites bite? The answer is they do not bite, and they do not transmit disease or illness as some other household pests, such as cockroaches and rodents, do. And they do not cause structural damage, like termites or carpenter ants, but they do cause problems when they invade porches or homes by the thousands!
• These cute little bugs suck the sap from plants. They feed on all kinds of plants, but they prefer grass. And this can mean trouble for your lawn.
• When crushed, these mites can leave red stains on walls, drapes, floors, and anywhere else they are crushed!
• They love the sun and will gather on the sunny side of a structure.
• Females lay bright red eggs in dry, protected cracks and crevices. When they hatch, they are virtually identical to their mothers.
• Clover mite eggs do not require fertilization by males. Incidentally, United States clover mite populations are 100% female!
• If you create an 18-inch grass-free zone around your foundation, this can help keep clover mites from invading your home.
• If a clover mite does get into your home, it will die of dehydration within a few days. But don't crush them. Vacuuming them or wiping them with a damp cloth will minimize staining.
If you have discovered these tiny red insects and have tried to get rid of them, you have probably realized that they are particularly hard to eradicate.
Since they tend to invade homes in significant numbers, it is important to locate and seal all potential entry points around your home.
However, this can be next to impossible since clover mites are so tiny; they can fit through even the most minuscule of openings. You can also try an over-the-counter pesticide, but they typically are not an adequate means to control clover mites, since they are not necessarily customized or suited to treat the particular species you are dealing with.
If you find yourself fighting against an army of these tiny red creatures, the best way to eradicate them is to call a professional pest control company.
Here at American Pest, we have 90 years of experience wiping out clover mites, and a whole host of other household pests. We stand by our Pest Free Pledge. If we service your home, and pests return--so do we! - And at no extra charge to you.
Contact us today and ask about our Preferred Care Program. Rest assured that your clover mite invasion will be completely taken care of. Guaranteed!